Sunday, June 05, 2005

PNJ Viewpoint submission

Tourism vs Development "
Reading Gary Holt's comments of June 1, 2005, you would think that he has only the best interest of the children at heart. Folks, he is a real estate developer, not an educator. He wants to build things on every piece of property he can access. He makes money this way. Don't be fooled by his appeals to better the future generations.
Pensacola Beach is at a crossroads. Should it retain its local charm and reputation as a family-friendly vacation destination or sell out to the high rise developers and go for the cash?
I am not a resident of the State of Florida. I am a tourist. I am a cog in the wheel that supports your community. For the past ten years, when I could afford a vacation (and sometimes when I could not), I have taken my hard-earned dollars to Pensacola Beach. I have no other destination when I think of vacation. I stay at Five Flags Inn. I eat at Pegleg's and Flounders. I fill my car with gas at Tom Thumb. I buy my snacks and drinks at The Market. I buy souvenirs and supplies at the various markets on the Boardwalk. I don't leave the island because everything I need is there. There are thousands of others just like me.
If you need proof of others like me, visit the Pensacola Beach Forum on this newspaper's website and read the threads about development, fond memories of past vacations, and encouraging comments about reconstruction of our favorite haunts. Visit a website built by and for those us that consider Five Flags Inn the best little motel in the world, www.savefiveflagsinn.com. People there, from across the nation, are offering time, labor and money to help restore the inn. The impact that one place has had on the lives of so many from other places that visit your community is incredible. Do you see anyone rushing to help any of the chain hotels?
When I am planning my vacation, I show my friends, family and co-workers where I am going and tell them why and how much I love it there. I point out the differences between Pensacola Beach and other Florida destinations. They all agree that it sounds great. (Just today at work I told a former Florida resident about Pensacola Beach and showed her a couple of websites!) Some have followed up on my advice. As a satisfied visitor, I am one of your greatest advertising tools. Don't believe me? Call the Chamber of Commerce and get their opinion. What are those differences between Pensacola Beach and other Florida destinations? I can get a room at a reasonable rate. There isn't a t-shirt hut or sunglass hut or other tourist rip-off every 50 yards. The traffic is not at a standstill because of volume. (This last reason alone is why I don't go to Panama City Beach.) Pensacola Beach is not overrun with chain stores and I like dealing with locally owned businesses. There is a peace and quiet found in Pensacola Beach that I cannot find other places.
But, if Pensacola Beach becomes overrun with highrise condos and over-developed, you will never see me or my friends or our money again. I can go anywhere for that. I choose something else.
With the highrise condos, you will have more traffic, more pollution, more crime and the public utilities will have to be upgraded and the roads will have to be widened and repaired more often. Who will pay for that? The developers? Ha! They are cashing their checks and smiling. Local taxpayers will be saddled with the costs.
When you are deciding which way to go at the crossroads, consider this: Are you falling for a line by those that want to make money or are you taking a direction that brings back tourists year after year?
I hope the citizens of Pensacola Beach will choose to be that "something else" many seek. Set your town apart from others. Tell your local leaders to limit new construction, limit the height of buildings, limit the numbers of floors, or you will limit their term in office. Make them vote the will of the people, not the influence of the developers.
See you soon, I hope,

Joe Smotherman"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home